National Institute of Crop Science (NICS), RDA,1
In order to provide basic data for efficient control of weedy rice, we analyzed emergence rate of 100 weedy rice genetic resources collected in South Korea according to growth temperature and soil burial depth. Analyzing of emergence rate using low dormancy weedy rice genetic resources, emergence was increased at 12 and 14°C of mean temperature condition. When calculating the effective accumulated temperature above 10°C, emergence rate increased 0.6% and 0.5% in 1 cm and 3 cm of soil depth, respectively according to increase of 1°C. However it reduced as 0.28% in 5 cm of soil depth condition. Analyzing of emergence rate using high dormancy weedy rice, red rice showed 55%, 46%, 41% of emergence rate in 1 cm, 3 cm and 5 cm of soil depth condition, respectively. However those of white rice decreased as 10%, 8% and 5.7% in 1 cm, 3 cm and 5 cm of soil depth condition, respectively. Relative emergence, assuming the final emergence rate as 100%, reached 80%, 90% and 100% when effective accumulated temperature was 83-112°C, 100-123°C, 148-160°C respectively.
1. Akasaka, M., Ushiki, J., Iwata, H., Ishikawa, R. and Ishii, T. 2009. Genetic relationships and diversity of weedy rice (Oryza sativa L.) and cultivated rice varieties in Okayama Prefecture. Japan. Breed. Sci. 59:401-409.
2. Back, N.H., Kim S.S., Il, I.B., Choi, M.G., Yang, W.H. and Y. 1998. The optimum of seeding date and rate on growth and yield of rice in water seeded rice at Southern plain area. Korean J. Crop Sci. 40:33-38.
3. Cho, Y.S. 2013. Characteristics of germination and seeding growth of red rice by temperatures and seeding depths. Korean J. Crop Sci. 58:319-323.
4. Chung, N.J. and Paek, N.C. 2003. Photoblastism and ecophysiology of seed germination in weedy rice. Agron. J. 95:184-190.
5. Hoagland, R.E. and Paul, R.V. 1978. A comparative SEM study of red rice and several commercial rice varieties. Weed Sci. 26619-26625.
6. Im, I.B., Kang, J.G. and Kim, S. 2004. Physio-ecological characteristics and control of weedy rice in the rice paddy. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 24:56-63.
7. Kim, S.S., Back, N.H. Seok, S.J. Lee, S.Y. and Cho. D.S. 1995. Effect of seeding times on growth and yield of rice in puddled drill seeding at Southern Plain Area. Korean J. Crop Sci. 40:212-220.
8. Kim, S.S., Park, S.T. Lee, S.K. and Chung, G.S. 1991. Determination of the critical seeding date in dry-seeded rice. Res. Rep. RDA(R). 33:66-74.
9. Kim, S.Y. 1997. Occurrene of weedy rice (Oryza sativa L.) and yield as affected by rice cultivation methods. Farming casebook (rice farming division) II, 2006. National Institute of Crop Science. p. 958.
10. Kim, S.Y., Hwang, S.J. Lee, I.J. Shin, D.H. and Park, S.T. 2009. Germination characteristics of photoblastic weedy rice (Oryza sativa L.) seed. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 29:310-317.
11. Kim, S.Y., Moon, B.C., Park, S.T. Shin, S.O. and Yang, S.J. 2002. Control of water foxtail (Aleopecurus aequalis var. amurensis Ohwi.) by paraquat and glyphosate in no-tillage dry seeded rice. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 22:344-349.
12. Korean Statistical Information Service. 2014. Agriculture, forestry and fisheries research. http://kosis.kr.
13. Smith, R.J. 1989. Ecomonics of weed control in U.S. rice. Proc. Asian-Pacific. Weed Sci. Soc. 12:39-51.
14. Suh, H.S., Park, S.Z. and Heu, M.H. 1992. Collection and evaluation of Korean red rices I. Regional distribution and seed characteristics. Korea J. Crop S. 37:425-530.
15. Verhulst, P.F. 1838. Notice sur la loi que la polulation suit dans son accroissement. Curr. Math. Phys. 10:113.
16. Yuan J.S., Gealy, D.R., Stoming, T. and Stewart Jr. C.N. 2007. Comparative genomics and proteomics study of genes involved in low temperature germinability. January 13-17, 2007, Plant&Animal Genomes XV Conference, Town & County Convention Center Sandiego, CA.