Organic Agriculture Division, National Institute of Agricultural Science, RDA,1
Soil and fertilizer Division, National Institute of Agricultural Science, RDA,2
This study was conducted to evaluate weed control effect in organic soybean upland field as affected by cover crops including rye, hairyvetch, and its mixture. The experiment was conducted during two years (2015 and 2016) at the NAS (National Institute of Agricultural Sciences) organic farming experimental field. The cover crops were seeded after tillage at fall crop season in 2014, and then, the soybean field was managed with no tillage system from 2015. The weed suppression rates of cover crops application for rye and mixture (rye+ hairyvetch) treatment during 60 days after transplanting were 80% and 30%, respectively. However, weed suppression rate of hairyvetch treatment was not significantly different as compared to control. Weed flora in experimental field were less than general soybean field. The average organic soybean yield was generally low compare to normal year, nevertheless, the soybean yield for rye and mixture treatment in 2016 were significantly higher than PE mulching treatment.
1. Cho, J.L., Kim, C.S., Kang, C.K., Moon, B.C. and Park, J.E. 2009. Distribution, ecological habits and weed suppressive ability of winter annual belonged to Genus Vicia in Korea. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 29(1):62-67. (In Korean)
2. Derpsch, R., Friedrich, T., Kassam, A. and Li. 2010. Current status of adoption of no-till farming in the world and some of its main benefits. Int. J. Agric. Biol. Eng. 3, 1-25.
3. Franchini, J.C., Debiasi, H., Junior, A.A., Tonon, B.C., Bouc, J.R., et al. 2012. Evolution of crop yields in different tillage and cropping systems over two decades in southern Brazil. Field Crop Res. 137:178-185.
4. Hwang, J.B., Song, S.B., Hong, Y.K., Park, K.D. and Park, S.T. 2008. Effects of barley, wheat and rape cover to weed smothering in growing soybean in cry paddy field. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 28(4):414-419. (In Korean)
5. Johanson, C., Haque, M.E., Bell, R.W., Thierfelder, C. and Esdaile, R.J. 2012. Conservation agriculture for small holder rainfed farming: Opportunities and constraints of new mechanized seeding systems. Field Crop Res. 132:18-32.
6. Kim, S., Im, I.B., Kang, J.G., Lee, S.B. and An, X.H. 2008. Effects of weeding and growth characteristics by mulched plant as Chinese milk-vetch and hairy-vetch and seeding density of soybean at soybean cultivation in paddy field. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 28(2):139-145. (In Korean)
7. Lee, B.M., Jee, H.J., Ryu, K.Y., Park, J.H. and Lee, J.H. 2008. Effects of rye sowing dates on weed occurrence in soybean. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 28(2):111-116. (In Korean)
8. Lee, I.Y., Oh, Y.J., Hong, S.H., Choi, J.K., Heo, S.J., et al. 2015. Weed flora diversity and composition on upland field of Korea. Weed Turf. Sci. 4(3):159-175. (In Korean)
9. Lee, J.H., Lee, B.M., Shim, S.I., Lee, Y. and Jee, H.J. 2011. Effects of crimson clover, hairy vetch and rye residue mulch on weed occurrence, soybean growth and yield in soybean field. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 31(2):137-174. (In Korean)
10. Lee, S.B., Kim, B.S., Kang, J.G., Kim, S. and Kim, J.D. 2006. Effects of barley straw application and tillage method on soil physical property and soybean yield in paddy field. Kor. J. Crop Sci. 51(7):593-598. (In Korean)
11. NAQS. 2017. http//:www.enviagro.go.kr. (Accessed Aug. 18, 2017).
12. Ok, J.H., Cho, J.L., Lee, B.M., An, N.H. and Shin, J.H . 2015. Monitoring for change of soil characteristics by repeated organic supply of compost and green manures in newly reclaimed organic upland field. Kor. J. Organic Agri. 23(4):813-827. (In Korean)
13. RDA (Rural Development Administration). 2005. Weed precision survey in crop fields of Korea. Suwon, Korea. pp. 63-194. (In Korean)
14. Seo, J.H., Lee, J.E., Cho, Y.S., Lee, C.K., Yoon, Y.H., et al. 2008. Effects of rye cover crop and conservation tillage system on weed occurrence and soybean seedling stand. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 28(4):383-390. (In Korean)
15. Seo, J.H., Moon, J.K., Kwon, Y.U., Ku, J.H. and Kim, S.J. 2013. Change of weeds occurrence, early growth and yield of soybean at simultaneous planting with rye as living mulch. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(3):236-241. (In Korean)
16. Yang, S.K. and Jung, W.J. 2016. No-tillage agriculture of Korean-type on recycled ridge I. Changes in physical properties: soil crack, penetration resistance, drainage, and capacity to retain water at plastic film greenhouse soil by different tillage system. Kor. J. Organic Agri. 24(4):699-717. (In Korean)