Department of Green Landscape Architecture Science, Dankook University1
Southern Forest Resources Research Center, National Institute of Forest Science2
This study was carried out to develop new hybrid zoysiagrass cultivar ‘Seah’ (The application no. for cultivar protection : 2014-22). Native zoysiagrasses were collected from south-west seaside of Korea from 2010 to 2011. Artificial crossing was conducted to develop F1 hybrid between Z2011 (Z. sinica) and NM1 (Z. matrella) at plastic house in 2011. Among the progenies, ‘Seah’ showed fine leaf texture and high shoot density from the space planting plots at field. ‘Seah’ showed genetically light green color, with fine leaf with 1.8mm and height to the lowest leaf blade was 1.94 cm. Ground coverage rate was slower than medium leaf zoysiagrass (Jung-gi), but plant height of 7.1 cm was the lowest among the compared zoysiagrasses and height to lowest leaf of 1.94 cm was lower than most zoysiagrass, which may allow low mowing height.
1. Bae, E.J., Park, N.C., Lee, K.S., Lee, S.M., Choi, J.S., et al. 2010. Distribution and morphology characteristic of native zoysiagrasses (Zoysia spp.) grown in South Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24(2):97-105. (In Korean)
2. Bae, E.J., Lee, K.S., Han, E.H., Park, Y.B., Lee, S.M., et al. 2013. Morphological variation and characteristics of native medium-leaf type zoysiagrasses (Zoyisa spp.) by site environment. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(2):184-190. (In Korean)
3. Beard, J.B. 1973. Turfgrass: Science and culture. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
4. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2004. Development of new hybrid cultivar ‘Senock’ in zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 18(4):201-209. (In Korean)
5. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2005. Comparison of growth rate and cold tolerance with basic species, commercial lines, and breeding lines of zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 19:131-140. (In Korean)
6. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2006. Development of new cultivar ‘Millock’ in zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20(1):1-10. (In Korean)
7. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2013. Development of new hybrid cultivar ‘Semil’ in zoysiagrass. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(2):198-201.(In Korean)
8. Choi, D.K., Yang, G.M. and Choi, J.S. 2008. Flowering periods, genetic characteristics, and cross-pollination rate of Zoysia spp. in natural open-pollination. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 22(1):13-24. (In Korean )
9. Christian, N.E. and Engelke, M.C. 1994. Choosing the right grass to fit the environment. pp. 99-113. In: Leslie, A.R. (Ed.). Integrated pest management for turf and ornamentals. CRC Press, Levis Publishers. USA.
10. Forbes, I.Jr. 1952. Chromosome numbers and hybrids in Zoysia. Agronomy Journal 44:194-199.
11. Fukuoka, H. 1997. Breeding of Zoysia in Japan. International Symposium of Zoysiagrass Breeding. pp. 1-8. Dankook University, Korea.
12. Hong, K.H. and Yeam, D.H. 1985. Studies on interspecific hybridization in Korean lawngrasses (Zoysia spp). J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 26(2):169-178. (In Korean)
13. Kim, D.H., Lee, J.P., Kim, J.B. and Mo, S.Y. 1999. Development of narrow leaf type cultivar ‘Konhee’ in zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 13(3):147-152. (In Korean)
14. Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service. http://kportal.kipris.or.kr (Accessed Sep. 29, 2017).
15. Korea Seed and Variety Service. 2016. An official report for variety protection. 215:234-248. http://ebook.seed.go.kr (Accessed Sep. 29, 2017).
16. Korea Seed and Variety Service. 2017a. An official report for variety protection. 217:170-180. http://ebook.seed. go.kr (Accessed Sep. 29, 2017).
17. Korea Seed and Variety Service. 2017b. An official report for variety protection. 230:230-250. http://ebook.seed. go.kr (Accessed Sep. 29, 2017).
18. Lee, J.P., Kim, J.B., Im, S.H., Joo, Y.K. and Kim, D.H. 1997. Characteristics evaluation of a zoysiagrass line ‘232’ in the tissue culture and field. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 11(4):321-326. (In Korean)
19. Ruemmele, B.A. and M.C. Engelke. 1990. Zoysiagrass cultivars. Grounds Maintenance. April. pp. 92-126.