Gyeonggi-do Agricultural Research & Extension Services1
This study was conducted to examine the effect of cool-season grass overseeding on the green period, turf quality and density in zoysiagrass lawn. Treatments were perennial ryegrass (PR) overseeding (60 g m-2) on medium-leaf type zoysiagrass, Kentucky bluegrass (KB) overseeding (20 g m-2) on medium-leaf type zoysiagrass and narrow-leaf type zoysiagrass, and no overseeding on medium-leaf type zoysiagrass. Overseeding of KB or PR effectively provided quality improvement of zoysiagrass lawn by extending green-period about one month in spring and two months in fall season. PR overseeding showed quick green cover within 2-3 weeks but decreased the quality of overseeded zoysiagrass lawn during the summer season. Whereas, KB overseeding showed slow green cover taking two to three month after seeding but provided stable and good turf quality throughout the years. KB or PR overseeding significantly increased the turf density of zoysiagrass lawn except the period of summer depression of PR. The ground coverage of cool-season grasses ranged from 30 to 80% with considerable seasonal variation. As a result, KB and PR have their strengths and weaknesses as an overseeding material. Thus, the use of KB and PR as a mixture would provide better overseeding performance in zoysiagrass lawn.
1. Chang, N.K. and Kim, H.K. 1986. Physiological and ecological studies on prolongation of the green period in Korean lawn. J. Kor. Soc. Gras. Sci. 6(3):131-137. (In Korean)
2. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2013. Development of new hybrid cultivar ‘Semil’ in zoysiagrass. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(2):198-201. (In Korean)
3. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2006. Development of new cultivar ‘Millock’ in zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20(1):1-10. (In Korean)
4. Jung, K.W. and Kim, K.N. 2014. Effect of cool-season grass overseeding on coverage and spring transition in zoysiagrass. Weed Turf. Sci. 3(4):370-377. (In Korean)
5. Kim, D.G., Jen, J.M., Oh, S.I. and Shim, G.Y. 2012. Transition of density and quality of turfgrasses on bermudagrass fairway with perennial ryegrass, and adjustment of transition period by treatment of trifloxysulfuron-sodium. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(2):83-88. (In Korean)
6. Kim, H.K. 1990. Physiological and ecological studies (II) on prolongation of the green leaf color period in Korean lawn, Zoysia japonica Steud. Kor. Turf. Sci. 4(1):5-11. (In Korean)
7. Kim, K.N. 2017. Comparison of turfgrass density, uniformity and tiller characteristics in mixtures of overseeded warm-season and cool-season grasses. Weed Turf. Sci. 6(1):67-76. (In Korean)
8. Kim, K.N. Choi, J.S. and Nam, S.Y. 2003a. Turf performance of warm-season grass and cool-season grass grown in multi-layer system, USGA system and mono-layer system for athletic field. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 44:539-544. (In Korean)
9. Kim, K.N. and Nam, S.Y. 2005. Seasonal differences in turf quality of Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, tall fescue and mixtures grown under a pure sand of USGA system. Kor. J. Turfgrass Sci. 19(2):151-160. (In Korean)
10. Kim, K.N., Park, W.K. and Nam, S.Y. 2003b. Comparison of establishment vigor, uniformity, rooting potential and turf quality of sods of Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, tall fescue and cool-season grass mixtures grown in sand soil. Kor. J. Turfgrass Sci. 17(4):129-146 . (In Korean)
11. Li, D. and Han L. 2008. Managing mixtures of tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea Schreb.) and zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica Steud.) for athletic turf. Kor. J. Turfgrass Sci. 22(2):197-216.
12. Park, B.J. 2003. Ecological studies on the warm-season turfgrass and cool-season turfgrass mixtures. J. Korean Env. Res. & Reveg. Tech. 6(5):21-27. (In Korean)
13. Patton, A.J., Schwartz, B.M. and Kenworthy, K.E. 2017. Zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.) history, utilization, and improvement in the United States: A Review. Crop Sci. 57(4):1-36.
14. Razmjoo, K., Imada, T. and Kaneko, S. 1995. Overseeding manilagrass (Zoysia matrella (L.) Merr.) with cool-season turfgrasses. J. of Turfgrass Management 1(3):43-52.
15. Shim, S.R., Jeong, D.Y. and Ahn, B.J. 2004. Effects of cool-season turfgrass overseeding onto zoysiagrass. J. Korean Env. Res. & Reverg. Tech. 7(5):85-93. (In Korean)
16. Turgeon, A.J. 2005. Turfgrass management. 7th ed. Prentice Hall, Inc. NJ. USA.
17. SAS Inst., Inc. 2001. SAS/STAT user’s guide: Statistics version 8.00, SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
18. Yeam, D. Y., Huh, K.Y. and Joo, Y.K. 1985. Studies on prolongation of the green period in zoysiagrasses. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 26(10):66-75. (In Korean)
19. Zhang, J.M., Lou, J., Zhang, J., Lin, S.S., Mo, S.X., et al. 2008. Winter overseeding zoysiagrass sports turf with cool-season turfgrasses in southern China. Acta Horticulturae 783:85-96.