National Institute of Agricultural Sciences1
Herbicides are important weed control tools for increasing crop yields and the efficiency of crop production. As the use of herbicides increases, the occurrrence of herbicide-resistant weeds has been an increaing problem. In Korea, since the first occurrence of acetolactate synthase (ALS) inhibitor resistant Monochoria korsakowii was reported in the Seosan reclaimed paddy field in 1998, resistance has been reported in 14 weed species, including Echinochola spp. and their populations are gradually increasing. The objective of this study is to investigate the nationwide occurrence of ALS and Acetyl-CoA Carboylase inhibitor resistant Echinochloa spp. in Korea. In 2013, 2014, and 2015, we collected 594 accessions of Echinochloa spp. in Korean rice fields except for Jeonnam and Chungbuk provinces. They were then treated with the recommended rates of penoxsulam and cyhalofop-butyl. We harvested seeds from 45 accessions of E. oryzicola in the case of cyhalofop-butyl treatment. Also, 44 and 46 accessions of E. oryzicola and E. crus-galli survived and their seeds were harvested after penoxsulam treatment. Twenty accessions of E. oryzicola survived from both herbicides inferring possible multiple resistance. Two accessions out of 20 inferred from possible multiple resistance survived after cyhalofop-butyl treatment at a dose of 500 g a.i. ha-1. Seeds of herbicide resistant populations will be provided and utilized for further research.
1. Delye, C. 2013. Unravelling the genetic bases of non-target-site based resistance (NTSR) to herbicides: a major challenge for weed science in the forthcoming decade. Pest Manag. Sci. 69:176-187.
2. Heap, I. The international survey of herbicide resistant weeds. http//:www.weedscience.org (Accessed Jul. 10, 2017)
3. Im, I.B. 2009. Control and emergence of herbicide resistant Echinochloa oryzicola in paddy field of Korea. Proc. Kor. Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 29(2):103-104. (In Korean)
4. Im, I.B., Im, B.H., Park, J.H., Im, M.H., Kim, D.H., et al. 2017. Control and occurrence of herbicide resistance Echinochloa oryzicola in rice paddy field of Honam area. Weed Turf. Sci. 6(1):32-39. (In Korean)
5. Im, S.H., Park, M.W., Park, K.N., Yook, M.J., Song, J.S., et al., 2008. Resistance to ACCase inhibitor cyhalofop-butyl in Echinochloa crus-galli var. crus-galli collected in Seosan, Korea. Proc. Kor. Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 28(1):36-38. (In Korean)
6. Iwakami, S., Hashimoto, M., Matsushima, K.-I., Watanabe, H., Hamamura, K., et al., 2015. Multiple-herbicide resistance in Echinochloa crus-galli var. formosensis, an allohexaploid weed species, in dry-seeded rice. Pestic. Biochem. Phys.119(1):1-8.
7. Iwakami, S., Uchino, A., Watanabe, H., Yamasue, Y. and Inamura, T. 2012. Isolation and expression of genes for acetolactate synthase and acetyl-CoA carboxylase in Echinochloa phyllopogon, a polyploid weed species. Pest Manag. Sci. 68(7):1098-1106.
8. Kim, J.W. and Kim, D.S. 2016. Geographical distribution and molecular mechanism of herbicide resistant Echinochloa species in paddy fields, Korea. Proc. Kor. Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 36(1):5-6. (In Korean).
9. Lee, I.Y., Park, J.S., Seo, Y.H., Kim, E.J., Lee, S.G., et al. 2012. Occurrence trends of herbicide resistant weeds in paddy fields in Korea. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 32(2):121-126. (In Korean)
10. Lee, I.Y., Won, T.J., Seo, Y.H., Kim, E.J., Yun, Y.T., et al. 2013. Occurrence trends of SU-herbicide resistant weeds in paddy fields in Korea. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(3):318-321. (In Korean)
11. Lim, S.H., Song, J.S., Zhang, C. and Kim, D.S. 2010. ACCase inhibitor cyhalpfop-butyl resistance in Echinochloa oryzicola collected in Chungnam and Jeonbuk province, Korea. Proc. Kor. Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 30(1):45-46. (In Korean)
12. Moon, B.C., Kwon, O.D., Cho, S.H., Lee, S.G., Won, J.G., et al. 2004. Prediction of rice yield loss as a result of rice-weed competition in different rice cultivation methods. Proc. Kor. Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 24(1):92-94. (In Korean)
13. Park, S.T., Kim, C.S., Park, J.E., Oh, Y.K. and Kim, K.Y. 1999. Sulfonylurea-resistant biotype of Monochroria korsakowii in reclaimed paddy fields in Seosan, Korea. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 19(4):340-344. (In Korean)
14. Park, T.S., Ku, B.I., Kang, S.K., Choi, M.K., Park, H.K. et al. 2010. Response of the resistant biotype of Echinochloa oryzoides to ACCase and ALS inhibitors, and effect of alternative herbicides. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 30(3):291-299. (In Korean)
15. Park, T.S., Lee, I.Y., Seong, K.Y., Cho, H.S., Park, H.K. et al. 2011. Status and prospect of herbicide resistant weeds in rice field of Korea. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 31(2):119-133. (In Korean)
16. Park, T.S., Lee, I.Y., Seong, K.Y., Cho, H.S., Kim, M.H., et al. 2013. Alternative herbicides to control herbicide- resistant and troublesome weeds in paddy fields. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(3):248-253. (In Korean)
17. Yu, Q., Ahmad-Hamdani, M.S., Han, H., Christoffers, M.J. and Powles, S.B. 2013. Herbicide resistance-endowing ACCase gene mutations in hexaploid wild oat (Avena fatua): insights into resistance evolution in a hexaploid species. Heredity 110(3):220-231.