National Institute of Agricultural Sciences1
Since sulfonylurea (SU) herbicide-resistant Monochoria korsakowii in Seosan reclaimed land in 1998 was reported first, herbicide-resistant weed species and their area of occurrence have been steadily increasing. In recent years, Sagittaria trifolia resistant to SU herbicides has been reported in Gimhae, Gyeongnam province. While collecting S. trifolia for constructing barcode database of major weeds we were suspicious by the continuous variation in the leave morphology of the species. In order to identify the S. trifolia from S. aginash we barcoded the species collected from domestic using ITS and compared the sequence variation with the ITS sequences of S. aginash downloaded from NCBI. As a result, it was found that the plants collected from the domestic did not have any variation among individuals although they showed wide morphological variation. On the other hand, interspecific variation between S. trifolia and S. aginash was 4.6%. Plants that are difficult to identify using morphological characters can be identified quickly and accurately using the barcode technique. Herbicide-resistant weeds may require different management practices depending on the species even in the same genus. Domestic herbicide-resistant weeds are steadily increasing. Therefore, accurate identification of these species must be preceded for effective weed control.
1. CBOL Plant Working Group. 2009. A DNA barcode for land plants. P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106(31):12794-12797.
2. Hall, T.A. 1999. BioEdit: a user friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41.
3. Kim, H.J. and Choi, H.K. 2007. 188. Alismataceae Vent, pp. 1070-1072. In: Flora of Korea Editorial Committee (Ed.). The genera of vascular plants of Korea. Academy Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea.
4. Lee, J., Kim, J.W. and Lee, I.Y. 2017. Distribution and spread of cyhalofop-butly and penoxsulam resistant Echinochloa spp. in Korean paddy fields. Weed Turf. Sci. 6(4):345-349. (In Korean)
5. Mennan, H. and Kaya-Altop, E. 2012. Molecular techniques for discrimination of late watergrass (Echinochloa oryzicola) and early watergrass (Echinochloa oryzoides) species in Turkish rice production. Weed Sci. 60(4): 525-530.
6. Ohwi, J. 1984. Flora of Japan (in English): A Combined Much Rev. and Extended Transl. by the Author of His Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957). Smithsonian Institution, Washinghton, USA.
7. Park, T.S., Lee, I.Y., Seong, K.Y., Cho, H.S., Kim M.H., et al. 2013. Alternative herbicides to control herbicide-resistant and troublesome weeds in paddy fields. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(3):248-253. (In Korean)
8. Qingfeng, W., Haynes, R.R. and Hellquist, C.B. 2006. Alismataceae. FOC 23:84-89 http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/ china/ mss/volume23/Flora_of_China_Vol_23_Alismataceae.pdf.
9. Shiga, T., Tsubota, K. and Choi, H.J. 2017. Actual distribution and present status of a threatened aquatic plant, Sagittaria aginashi (Alismataceae), in Korea. Kor. J. Pla. Tax. 47(3):180-188.
10. Shin, H.C., Cha, H.C. and Choi, H.K. 1997. Taxonomic studies of the Korean Alismataceae: numerical anaylses of Sagittaria sagittifolia-S. aginashi complex. Kor. J. Pla. Tax. 27(4):471-480. (In Korean)
11. Tamura, K., Stecher, G., Peterson, D., Filipski, A. and Kumar, S. 2013. MEGA6: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 30:2725-2729.
12. Warwick, S.I. and Weaver, S.E. 1980. Atrazine resistance in Amaranthus retroflexus (redroot pigweed) and Amaranthus powellii (green pigweed) from southern Ontario. Can. J. Plant Sci. 60(4):1485-1488.
13. White, T.J., Bruns, T., Lee, S. and J. Taylor. 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics, pp. 315-322. In: Innis, N., Gelfand, D., Sninsky, J. and White, T. (Eds.). PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and Application. Academic Press, Inc., NY, USA.
14. Won, J.C., Ha, J., Kang, K.S., Pyon, J.Y., Park K.W., et al. 2015. Resistance mechanism to ALS inhibitors in the Sagittaria trifolia collected in paddy fields of Kimhae, Korea. Proc. Kor. Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 35(2):24-25. (In Korean)
15. Won, O.J., Won, J.C., Kim, Y.T., Lee, J., Lee, J.J., et al. 2017. Sagittaria trifolia resistant to ALS inhibitors and its population dynamics in paddy fields of Korea. The 26th Asian-Pacific Weed Science Society Conference, Kyoto, Japan. p. 272.