Korea Turfgrass Research Institute1
Turfgrass provides various beneficial effects to our societies such as recreation, aesthetic components, and other public service. Diseases in turfgrass is the major issue, which cause quality problems in golf courses, playgrounds, parks and cultivation areas, and tremendous cost is required to prevent the diseases. Research activity and investigation for turfgrass disease remain to be further attributed when compared to other crops in Korea. In this study, we present previously reported turfgrass diseases researches, especially caused by fungal pathogens, and review the history of turfgrass research activity in Korea to contribute future turfgrass research direction. Research papers were searched and analyzed using Korea Educational and Research Information Service (www.riss.kr). More than eighty papers presented turfgrass diseases and among the papers, 50% were published in Korean Journal of Turfgrass. Half of the papers reported turfgrass diseases control. Research articles about large patch disease were the majority (36%), followed dollar spot (18%), Pythium blight (10%) and Typhular blight (8%). Number of the first disease reports in Korea were total fifteen. Total 542 fungicides have been registered in Korea to prevent turfgrass diseases and most of the fungicides were for brown patch, rust, yellow patch, dollar spot, snow mold, summer patch, anthracnose, Pythium blight, powdery mildew and algae. And we will also need to conduct ecological studies on turf diseases and to develop control methods with improved efficacy and environmentally-friend sound. Researches on epidemiology of turfgrass diseases which deals with the incidence, distribution, and interactions with other factors will be also greatly favored for precise control prescription, timing of control and use of less pesticides.
1. Beard, J.B. and Green, R.L. 1994. The role of turfgrasses in environmental protection and their benefits to humans. J. Environ. Qual. 23(3):452-460.
2. Cha, J., Lee, J.H., Kim, J.H., Shim, Y.G., Bae, E., et al. 2012. First Report of Take-All on Turfgrass Caused by Gaeumannomyces graminis Var. Graminis in Korea. Weed Turf. Sci. 26(1):72-73.
3. Chang, S.W., Chang, T.H., Choi, B.J., Song, J.H., Park, K.S., et al. 2009. Antagonistic effects of Pseudomonas spp. against turfgrass pathogenic soil fungi. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23:209-218.
4. Chang, S.W., Jung, S.W., Kim, S.H., Park, J.H. and Lee, J.Y. 2012 Synergistic interaction of fungicides in mixtures under different conditions of dollar spot disease caused by Sclerotinia homoeocarpa Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(2): 96-101.
5. Cheon, C.W., Han, J.J., Kim, D.S., Kwak, Y.S. and Bae, E.J. 2016. Morphological characteristics and occurrence of yellow tuft on zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica) in cultivation fields. Weed Turf. Sci. 5(1):17-22.
6. Choi, J.S. and Yang, G.M. 2006. Sod production in South Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20:237-251. (In Korean).
7. Han, J.H., Ahn, C.H., Lee, S.Y., Back, C.G., Kang, I.K., et al. 2016. First report of summer patch caused by Magnaporthiopsis poae on cool season grass. Kor. J. Mycol. September, 44(3):196-200.
8. Haydu, J.J., Hodges, A.W., and Hall, C.R. 2006. Economic impacts of the turfgrass and lawncare industry in the United States. Florida Cooperative Extension Service, IFAS, Florida, USA.
9. Hyun, Y.H., Choi, B.J., Kim, Y.J. and Joo, Y.K. 2012. Analysis of research trend on zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.). Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26:89-95. (In Korean)
10. Jang, D.H., Park, N.I., Yang, S.W. and Shim, G.Y. 2011. Present situation of zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.) culture, sod production, and bland by prefecture in Japan. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 25:229-236. (In Korean)
11. Jeon, C.W., Lee, J.H., Min, G.Y. and Kwak, Y.S. 2016. Biological control of large patch disease by Streptomyces spp. in Turfgrass. Weed Turf. Sci. 5(1):29-34.
12. Kang, J.Y., Kim, D.H., Lee, D.G., Kim, I.S., Jeon, M.G., et al. 2013. Screening of antifungal activities of medicinal plants for the control of turfgrass fungal disease. Weed Turf. Sci. 2(1):7-75. (In Korean)
13. Kim, D.G., Jen, J.-M., Oh, S.-I. and Shim, G.Y. 2012. Transition of density and quality of turfgrasses on bermudagrass fairway with perennial ryegrass, and adjustment of transition period by treatment of trifloxysulfuron-sodium. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(2):83-88. (In Korean)
14. Kim, D.S., Bae, C.Y., Chun, S.J., Kim, D.H., Choi, S.W., et al. 2005. Paenibacillus elgii SD17 as a biocontrol agent against soil-borne turf diseases. Plant Pathol. J. 21(4):328-333.
15. Kim, J.H. and Lee, M.W. 1973. The taxonomical studies of Curvularia Blight of turf (Arostis canina L .) in Korea. Kor. J. Mycol. 1:31-33.Kim J.H., Choi, H.Y., Shim, G.Y. and Kim, Y.H. 2010. Chemical resistance and control of dollar spot caused by Sclerotinia homoeocarpa on turfgrass of golf courses in Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24(2):170-175. (In Korean)
16. Kim, J.N., Kim, I.S., Geon, M.G. and Park, D.H. 2006. Control activities of natural compound, TGR-N1, against turfgrass fungal diseases in vitro and in field. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20(1):57-63. (In Korean)
17. Kim, J.W., Shim, G.Y. and Lee, D.H. 1993. Occurrence of anthracnose in turfgrasses caused by Colletotrichum graminicola (Ces.) Wilson and C. caudatum (Sacc.) Peck. Kor. J. Plant Pathol. 9(3):226-231. (In Korean)
18. Kim, J.W. and Park, E.W. 1999. occurrence and pathogenicity of Pythium species isolated from leaf blight symptoms of turfgrasses at golf courses in Korea. Plant Pathol. J. 15(2):112-118.
19. Kim, J.W. and Park, E.W. 2002. Occurrence of metalaxyl-resistant isolates of Pythium spp. isolated from turfgrasses of golf courses in Korea. Kor. J. Mycol. 30(2):157-165. (In Korean)
20. Kim, J.W., Shim, G.Y., Kim, H.J. and Lee. D.H. 1992. Identification and pathogenicity of binucleate Rhizoctonia isolates causing leaf blight (yellow patch) in turfgrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 6:99-112. (In Korean)
21. Kim, K.D., Hong, S.C., Jang, K.M., Han, M., Pyee, J.H., et al. 2014. First report of waitea ring patch caused by Waitea circinata on zoysiagrass. Weed Turf. Sci. 3(4):378-381.
22. Kim, W.G., Shim, G.Y., Cho, W.D. and Lee, Y.H. 1991. Anastomosis groups and pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia solani isolates causing rhizoctonia blight of turfgrasses. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 7(4):257-259. (In Korean)
23. Korea Crop Protection Association. 2017. Agrochemicals use guide book in 2017. (In Korean)
24. Korea Forest Service. 2012. Production survey of forest products in 2011. p. 588. Korea Forest Service. Daejeon, Korea.
25. Kwon, S.M., Kim, D.H., Chang, T.H., Jeon, M.G., Kim, I.S., et al. 2010. Screening of antifungal medicinal plants for turfgrass fungal disease control. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24(2):176-181. (In Korean)
26. Lee, D.H. and Kim, J.W. 1992. Identification and ecology of occurrence of Typhula snow mold of graminous plants. I. Characters and pathogenicity of Typhula incarnata isolated from diseased turgrass of snow mold disease. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 8:101-106.
27. Lee, J.H., Min, G.Y., Shim, G.Y., Kim, D.S., Sang, H.K., et al. 2015. Toothpick-aided detection of Sclerotinia homoeocarpa in the turfgrass leaf canopy, thatch, and soil in relation to dollar spot infection centers. Weed Turf. Sci. 4(4):376-382. (In Korean)
28. Lee, J.P., Kim, S.J., Seo, H.Y., Lee, S.J., Jeong, J.I., et al. 2001. Contribution of turfgrass industry to the economy in Florida state and present and future of Korea turfgrass industry. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 15:187-198. (In Korean).
29. Lee, S.J. and Huh, K.Y. 2002. The effect of pyroligneous acid on turfgrass growth - The case of Yong-Pyong golf course green. Kor. Institute Landscape Archi. 30:95-104. (In Korean)
30. Min, G.Y., Lee, J.H. and Kwak, Y.S. 2014. A detail investigation of major diseases occurrence and pathogen population on turfgrass cultivation in nationwide. Weed Turf. Sci. 3(2):121-129. (In Korean)
31. Park, B.J. 2003. Ecological management of turf insects and zoysia large patch by mixing turfgrass species. Kor. Institute Landscape Archi. 31(3):107-113
32. Paul, V. and Bruce C. 2017. Chemical control of Turfgrass diseases 2017. University of Kentucky, Kentucky, USA. www2.Ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ppa/ppa1/ppa1.PDF
33. Ryu, J.H., Shim G.Y. and Kim K.S. 2014. Inhibition of in vitro growth of three soil-borne turfgrass diseases by antagonistic bacteria from composted liquid manure. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 32(6):879-886.
34. Shim, G.Y. and Kim, H.K. 1995. Identification and pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia spp. isolated from turfgrasses in golf courses in Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 9(3):235-252. (In Korean)
35. Shim, G.Y., Kim, H.K., Bae, D.W., Lee, J.T. and Lee, H.J. 1997. Integrated control of large patch disease caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG2-2 by using fertilizers, fungicides and antagonistic microbes on turfgrasses. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 11(3):173-183. (In Korean)
36. Shim, G.Y., Min G.Y., Shin, H.D. and Lee, H.J. 2000 Occurrence dollar spot caused by Sclerotinia homoeocarpa in turfgrass of golf course in Korea. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 14(1):241-250.
37. Shim, G.Y., Min, G.Y., Shin, H.D. and Lee, H.J. 2001. Occurrence of chemical resistance and control of dollar spot caused by Sclerotinia homoeocarpa in turfgrass of golf course in Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 15:1-8. (In Korean)
38. Smiley, R.W., Dernoeden, P.H., and Clarke, B.B. 2005. Compendium of Turfgrass Diseases, 3rd Ed. Amer. Phytopathol. Soc., St. Paul, MN, USA.
39. Suh, J.W., Chang, J.H., Lee, C.H., Shim, G.Y. and Kim, H.S. 1999. Biological control of turfgrass diseases by Pseudomonas cepacia AF-2001. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 13:155-66.
40. Sung, C.H., Koo, J.H., Kim, J.H., Yoon, J.H., Lee, J.H., et al. 2016. First Report of Curvularia Leaf Blight Caused by Curvularia trifolii on Creeping Bentgrass in Korea. Weed Turf. Sci. 5(2):101-104.
41. Tanaka, A. 2003. Color atlas of Turfgrass diseases-Disease characteristics, damage and control. Soft Science, Inc. Tokyo, Japan.
42. The Korean Society of Plant Pathology. 2000. List of plant diseases in Korea, 5th ed. Korean Society of Plant Pathology, Seoul, Korea.
43. Yeom, J.R. 1999. Biological control of Pythium blight of turfgrass in golf green by Trichoderma harzianum ABGC-95. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 13(4):223-234. (In Korean)
44. Yonn, J.H., Lee, J.P. and Kim, D.H. 2005. The present situation of patented technology on turfgrass cultivar in domestic and foreign. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 19:141-149. (In Korean).
45. Yonn, J.H., Lee, J.P. and Kim, D.H. 2006. Commercialization of patented technology on turfgrass production in Korea. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 20:107-118. (In Korean).
46. Yoo, M.J., Lee, J.P., Joo, Y.K., Kim, D.H. 2009. Analysis of Maintenance Expense in various Golf Courses. Turfgrass Sci. 23:61-76. (In Korean).
47. Yoon, M.Y., Choi, Y.H., Kang, M.S., Lee, J.H., Han, S.S., et al. 2013. Disease control efficacy of the extract of Magnolia officinalis against perilla and zoysiagrass rusts. Res. Plant Dis. 19(1):45-48.