Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture (BINA)1
Department of Crop Science Chungnam National University2
Department of Agronomy and Agriculture Extension, University of Rajshahi3
Agronomy Division, Bangladesh Rice Research Institute, Auditorium Road Joydebpur4
Soil Resource Development Institute (SRDI)5
This experiment was conducted to find the most suitable crop establishment method and weed management practices for transplanted aman rice in Bangladesh. Rice variety Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI) dhan44 was used as planting materials where three crop establishment methods (T1: direct wet seeding by drum seeder; T2: hand broadcasting; T3: transplanting) and four weeding options (W1: Hand weeding (HW); W2: BRRI weeder+HW; W3: Herbicide+HW; and W4: no weeding) were tested. Among the crop establishment methods, the highest grain yield (5.12 t ha-1) was obtained with the T3, while the highest benefit cost ratio (BCR) of 2.08 was found in T2. In case of the weed management method, W1 showed superior results on the plant density/m2 (139.66) at 60 days after transplanting (DAT), grain yield (4.97 t ha-1), and BCR (2.03). On the other hand, the highest plant dry matter (36.20 g) at 60 DAT and the highest yield (6.10 t ha-1) were obtained in a T3W1 combination. The results of this study show that the productivity of rice during aman season could be most significantly increased with the use of transplanting (T3) alone, hand weeding (W1) alone, or a combination of the two methods (T3W1).
1. Ahmed, G.J.U., Mridha, A.J., Bhuiyan, M.K.A., Riches, C.R. and Mortimer, M. 2003. Effect of different weed management systems on weed control, plant growth and grain yield of lowland rice. pp. 17-21. In Proceedings of Nineteenth Asian Pacific Weed Sci. Soc. Conf. 2003.
2. Ahmed, T., Chowdhury, A.K.M.M.B., Sayem, S.M. and Karim, M.M. 2005. Impacts of Integrated weed management in transplanted Aman rice. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod. 3:45-53.
3. Ali, M.A. 2005. Productivity and resource-use efficiency of rice as affected by crop establishment and nitrogen management. PhD Diss. Philips Univ., Los Banos, Philippines.
4. Anwar, M.P., Juraimi, A.S., Puteh, A., Selamat, A., Man, A. and Hakim, M.A. 2011. Seeding method and rate influence on weed suppression in aerobic rice. African J. Biotechnol. 10(68): 15259-15271.
5. BARC (Bangladesh Agriculture Research Counc). 2005. Fertilizer Recommended Guide. BARC, Farm gate, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
6. BBS (Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics). 2012. Statistical Yearbook of Bangladesh 2011. BBS, Govt. of People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
7. BBS (Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics). 2013. Statistical Yearbook of Bangladesh 2012. 32th Edn., BBS, Govt. of People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
8. BRRI (Bangladesh Rice Research Institute). 2008. Annual report for 2007. pp. 28-35. Bangladesh Rice Research Institute. Joydebpur, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
9. Chowdhury, M.A.H., Talukder, H.H. and Hossain, M.Z. 1995. Effect of Ronstar on weed management, yield and nutrient uptake by rice. Bangladesh J. Agril. Sci. 22(1): 93-98.
10. Haque, S.M.A., Hossain, M.D., Talukder, K.H., Asaduzzaman, M., Sayed, M.A. and Hoque, M.N. 2011. Effect of weeding regime on the weed infestation and crop performance of transplanted aman rice. J. Sci. Foundation. 9(142): 27-40.
11. Hwang, J.B., Park, T.S., Park, H.K., Kim, H.S., Choi, I.B., et al. 2017. Characteristics of cultural practice and weed community in adzuki bean fields in the south-west districts of Korea. Korean J. Agril. Sci. 44(1):40-49.
12. Lee, S.I., Park, K.W., Won, O.J., Park, S.H., Eom, M.Y., et al. 2015. Effect of rice bran and its mixture with pine leaves on efficacy of weed control and growth and yield of rice in paddy fields. Korean J. Agr. Sci. 42: 111-116. DOI: 10.7744/cnujas.2015.42.2.111
13. Moody, K. 1991. Weed management in rice. In: Handbook of pest management in Agriculture (ed. by Pimentel D.). pp. 301-328. Boca Raton (Florida), CRC Press, Florida, USA.
14. Prasad, M.K., Singh, S.B., Singh, J.M. and Sinha, R.P. 1999. Effect of seeding method, seed rate and N-splitting on yield attributes of direct seeded rice. J. Appl. Biol. 9(1):55-57.
15. Prasad, S.M., Mishra, S.S. and Singh, S.J. 2001. Effect of establishment methods, fertility levels and weed-management practices on rice (Oryza sativa L.). Indian J. Agron. 46:216-221.
16. Yeasmin, T., Perveen, S., Sarkar, M.A.R. and Anwa,r M.P. 2008. Effects of weeding and fertilizer management on transplant aman rice cv. BRRI dhan41. J. Agr. Environ. 2(2):99-102.