Crop Production and Physiology Division, National Institute of Crop Science, RDA, Wanju, 55365, Korea1
There is no herbicides registered for Adzuki beans in Korea. The objective of this research was to evaluate the efficacy of various pre-emergence (PRE) and post-emergence (POST) herbicides for the control of adzuki bean cultivation. Trials were conducted at two locations in 2015 and 2016. Experiments were arranged in a randomized complete block design with either ten PRE or one POST herbicides. Pre-emergence application of s-metolachlor and metazachlor showed relatively low phytotoxicity to adzuki bean. S-metolachlor showed 99% weed control at the recommended rate and 97% at the half application rates 30 days after seeding (DAS). Metazachlor showed 98% weed control at the recommended rate and 96% at the half application rates 30 DAS. However, both herbicides were not effective to Digitaria sanguinalis and Portulaca oleracea. The herbicides, which was low phytotoxicity but not efficacy of chemicals, were napropamide, metribuzin, and trifluralin. Systematic treatment is needed to control gramineous weeds during growth. Post-emergence herbicides showed no external phytotoxicity for adzuki bean were clethodim.
Guh, J.O. 1990. Weed control in minor crops and minor used herbicides. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 10(2):153-158.
2. Hong, E.H., Lee, Y.H., Kim, S.D., Hwang, Y.H. and Moon, Y.H. 1991. Selection of appropriate herbicide for establishment of weed control system in adzuki bean and Mungbean. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 3(2):199-207. (In Korean)
3. Hwang, J.B., Park, T.S., Park, H.K., Kim, H.S., Choi, I.B., et al. 2017. Characteristics of cultural practice and weed community in adzuki bean fields in the south-west districts of Korea. Kor. J. Agri. Sci. 44(1):40-49.
4. Kim, K.S., Kwon, D.E., Lee, J.E., Cha, Y.L., Moon, Y.H. and Kang, Y.G. 2018. Change of weeds occurrence of spring sowing rapeseed cultivation by soil-applied herbicide treatment. p. 578. 2018 International Joint Conference on Plant Protection. (In Korean)
5. Kim, K.U. 1992. Crop injury induced by herbicides and remedy to reduce it. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 12(3):261-270. (In Korean)
6. Lee, I.Y., Kim, C.S., Lee, J.G., Kim, J.H. and Kim, K.H. 2012. The Occurrence of weed species in cultivated Ligularia fischeri fields. Weed Turf. Sci. 3(2):95-101. (In Korean)
7. NIAST (National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology). 1988. Methods of soil chemical analysis. p. 215. RDA, Suwon, Korea. (In Korean)
8. Park, J.E., Lee, I.Y., Park, T.S., Lim, S.T., Moon, B.C., et al. 2003. Occurrence characteristics of weed flora in upland field in Korea. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 23(3):277-284. (In Korean)
9. RDA (Rural Development Administration). 2003. Analysis manual for agricultural science and technology in research. pp. 271-290. RDA, Suwon, Korea. (In Korean)